Rooibos belongs to the legume family. It resembles a broom. The herbal plant is found mostly in South Africa and it is from this plant that Rooibos tea is derived. The other name for this type of tea is red bush tea. Some people mistake this plant with wheat. Rooibos tea is herbal, thus not tea in the true sense of the word. It has several health benefits as South Africans have discovered throughout all the past and present generations.
Benefits of Rooibos Tea
- Caffeine-free: Too much caffeine is bad for the body. Fortunately, the fact that Rooibos grows naturally means that it is free of caffeine. Therefore, what this means is that Rooibos tea does not have to undergo a chemical process to remove the caffeine. The fact that it is caffeine-free means that Rooibos is safe for young children and pregnant women. The absence of caffeine means that Rooibos is consumable in large quantities with little negative reactions.
- Antioxidants: The powerful antioxidants found in Rooibos tea makes it ideal for protecting the body. The antioxidants found in Rooibos tea are very effective in fighting free radicals. The anti-inflammatory properties that the tea boasts of make it a perfect remedy for certain types of heart diseases.
- Cancer – Studies have shown that there is a close relationship between drinking Rooibos tea and the reduction of certain chemicals responsible for causing cancer in the body. Rooibos tea is able to fight cancer-causing chemicals because of the high amount of antioxidants that it contains.
- Mineral content – Rooibos tea is very beneficial to the health because of the high content of minerals that it has. Some of these minerals include calcium, potassium, magnesium, zinc, and iron. Each of these minerals plays a very important role in making the body much stronger and healthier.
- Blood Circulation: Chysoerial is one of the most important antioxidants found in Rooibos tea. This antioxidant is very powerful primarily because of its ability to prevent the workings of the enzymes responsible for causing cardiovascular diseases.
- Stomach Problems: Any person who frequently suffers indigestion, diarrhea and abdominal cramps should embark on drinking Rooibos tea on a regular basis. This is because of the presence of flavonoids within the tea.
- Iron absorption: Unlike black tea that prevents the body from absorbing iron, Rooibos tea works differently. This is because of the reduced amount of tannins in Rooibos tea. Black tea is unable to support iron absorption because it contains a large number of tannins.
- Skin Conditions: People with skin full of eczema, psoriasis and acne can see a reduction in their skin condition by drinking enough amounts of Rooibos tea on a regular basis. Take some tea bags and place them on the part of the body affected with the inflammations for a soothing effect and healing.
- Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s: Regular drinking of Rooibos tea offers proper protection against lipid peridoxation, which is the process responsible for causing deterioration of the brain that leads to diseases such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.
- Sleep: Rooibos tea is one of the few herbal teas that one can drink at any time of the day or night without worrying about side effects. It is very effective for people who struggle with insomnia. The insomniacs drink Rooibos tea just before bedtime and are able to enjoy a restful sleep.