Green tea is derived from unfermented tealeaves. This type of tea mainly originates from Japan and China. Green tea has a pale color. It also has a somewhat bitter flavor. Many experts believe that green tea is a superfood. The Chinese have used green tea as a medicine in treating all manner of ailments including depression and headaches. The method employed in processing green tea ensures that it has a rich content of antioxidants. To produce green tea, the fresh leaves of the tea plant are steamed. The process is much different compared to the fermentation that takes place to produce oolong and black tea.
Benefits of Green Tea
- Health: The presence of bioactive compounds within the green tea are good for health. The bioactive compounds that are in the tealeaves find their way into the green tea after processing. Green tea is rich in polyphenols, such as catechins and flavonoids. This makes green tea very effective in reducing the free radicals within the body. Green tea is able to protect the cells, due to the presence of polyphenols.
- Brain Function: Many people drink green tea to stay awake. However, many people have also realized that green tea makes them smarter by improving brain function. This is because of the presence of the right amount of caffeine.
- Fat Burning: Almost all weight loss products contain green tea as one of the most fundamental of ingredients. This is sufficient evidence of the incredible benefits that green tea offer a person who desires to cut down on his weight.
- Antioxidants: The uncontrolled and uncontrollable growth of cells causes cancer. The high amount of antioxidants in green tea is able to resist the uncontrollable growth of cells or cancer. Some of the types of cancer that green tea helps resist include prostate, colorectal, and breast cancer.
- Lowers the risk of Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s: Not only does green tea improve brain function in the short-run, but it also provides the brain with adequate protection even in old age. This makes green tea highly effective in providing people with protection from numerous neurodegenerative diseases, such as Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s.
- Dental Health: Green tea is able to kill all types of bacteria located within the mouth. This makes it very effective in improving dental health. The ability of green tea in dealing effectively with bacteria is due to the presence of catechins.
- Type 2 Diabetes: More than 300 million people around the world are afflicted by type 2 diabetes. Thankfully, green tea is able to reduce the levels of blood sugar while boosting insulin sensitivity. In Japan, a study showed that there is a 42% drop in the likelihood of people who drink green tea to develop type II diabetes.
- Cardiovascular Disease: Cardiovascular diseases are responsible for a large percentage of deaths around the world, perhaps more than other diseases. A person who drinks enough amounts of green tea has a much lower chance of developing any cardiovascular disease.
- Obesity: The fact that green tea improves the rate of metabolism means that it is perfect for people who desire to achieve their weight loss goals. People who drink green tea regularly enjoy a reduction in body fat, especially around the abdomen.
- Prolonged life: The fact that green tea reduces the chances of developing certain types of cancer and cardiovascular diseases means that it also prolongs life.